Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tadian, Mt. Province an Emerging Town in The Philippines

by: Felisa Daskeo

Tadian, Mountain Province is just another simple, unknown town in the northern part of the Philippines. Perched between tall mountains overcrowded with tall pine trees and rocks that looked like guards above, Tadian is as quiet as the cold morning breeze and as serene as the mountain overlooking it. The tranquility of the town makes one feel so cozy and at peace with the rich nature surrounding it. Living in this town makes one feel so protected and blanketed with the calmness and peace that easily devours the innermost being.



Yes, this is my hometown that I call home. Home because even if I don't live now in the place, the mere thought of the place makes me feel at ease and safe.

Nature around is what makes the place rich. Nature was so kind. The land is fertile and although it is mountainous is fit for planting. The Igorots terraced the terrains in order for them to be able to plant rice and vegetables. This rice terraces is one of the wonders of the world that kept people imagining how all those rice terraces were so perfectly and beautifully carved in the mountains.
The rice terraces are just a few meters away from the beautiful houses.
But these were not done overnight, instead, the rice terraces were created by the Igorots since the time that man has learned to use tools. I imagine they had made use of the crude tools of primitive times. Until now, men are still building rice terraces in my hometown. That is their way of life and for as long as man is alive the rice terraces will still be built by my people.

Igorots are known as very hard-working people. This was proven by what they could do to the mountains around them. No man could build rice terraces as incredibly as the Igorots. They are natural engineers who love terracing mountains in order to make a living.

Igorots are early risers. They go to the fields at dawn until sunset. The women carry crops on their heads to bring home to their families. while the men carry them on their broad shoulders.
The woman is already in her seventies, but she still goes to the fields.
When I was a little girl, I could still remember how my father and my grandfather woke up at three in the morning to prepare their food and then go to the fields as early as four o’clock in the morning. Nobody was allowed to sleep until sunrise. According to the old men and women, a person who wakes up late will not be able to accomplish something.

The Igorots have emerged with the drastic change in technology and they cannot be left behind. This is not impossible because of their love for education. Most of the new generations are now degree holders and they are either out in the cities or else in other countries working and developing their skills.


Even the types of houses built in Tadian are affected by the modern life. You cannot see anymore the traditional houses around but big, concrete houses that are at par with the houses in other communities in the Philippines.
This house is already an antique house. In the 1960s, this was the best house I have ever seen in my life, but today there are more and more beautiful houses being constructed in Tadian.
Tadian town is now populated with beautifully constructed houses. Below are a few of them.




Some people might think that Igorots are pagans. While our ancestors had their own beliefs and their God, we are Christians and we have our church.
This is a Roman Catholic church.

The old tradition of burying the dead in the yard is not anymore a practice in Tadian. There are two cemeteries in the town which are both free.

My father who passed away in 1994 was buried in the cemetery.

A walk around town will bring you to a memorable place where I finished my elementary education. The Tadian Central School is only a few meters away from our old house and I walked to and from school every day.



Walk further and you will see a stairway that seems to lead to heaven. And there you find the Tadian Municipal Hall.


And then, going up the road, you will finally find the school where I finished my high school education. Now, Tadian School of Arts and Trades where I studied in the 1970s has now become a Mountain State Polytechnique College that caters to both high school and college students.
This is the academic subjects building. There are several other buildings around.
I have walked you around my town and hope you have enjoyed it. Thank you for dropping by.

Copyright 2009 Felisa Daskeo

3 comments:

  1. Dear Masmasika, you write quite well, if I may say so. And your love for the mountain province is quite obvious. I love the mountains too. By the way, would you know how I can get in touch with the St. Michael's Church community center? Intend to visit Tadian on the 26th April and need some accomodations.
    thanks.

    Ricky Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Masmasika, you write quite well, if I may say so. And your love for the mountain province is quite obvious. I love the mountains too. By the way, would you know how I can get in touch with the St. Michael's Church community center? Intend to visit Tadian on the 26th April and need some accomodations.
    thanks.

    Ricky Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ricky, I'm sorry I have no idea. My brother is the barangay captain in Tadian town so perhaps you can get in touch with him when you visit the place. Tell him I am your friend. By the way my real name is Felisa Daskeo. Thanks. Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete

Saan Daw Nakatira ang Igorot

 Are you also wondering where an Igorot lives? I know. I know. Many people still believe that an Igorot is a primitive, ignoramus human bein...